“Information Access – new modes, technologies and opportunities”
Information access is important to all persons with print disabilities (including, but not limited to, people with vision impairment) and has many dimensions, including format (braille, large print, E-text, etc.), facilities (libraries, agencies, educational institutions, government bodies) and modes of access (mobile touch devices, laptop, refreshable braille). The 2017 Conference will explore the ever-expanding opportunities presented to people with print disabilities for information access and creation, communication and learning.
This conference provides three full days of technical, research and panel sessions, presentations and practical workshops on issues related to accessibility. There are also many opportunities for networking and socialising with key speakers, panel members and attendees.
Dates and Venue
Saturday, 6 May 2017 – Tuesday, 9 May 2017
Mercure Perth, 10 Irwin Street, Perth WA 6000
- Debra Barnes, VisAbility COO – “Planning a Better Future: A Consumer-driven approach”.
- Dick Lunenborg, Bartiméus Institute for the Blind in the Netherlands – “Unlocking the worlds of people with profound and complex needs”
- Iain Murray (AOM), Curtin University WA – “Technology unlocking your potential”.
Sponsors and support
Round Table proudly acknowledges the following Sponsors of the 2017 Round Table Conference.
- Silver Sponsor – Media Access Australia
- Australian Government’s Department of Social Services
- Media Partner – The Australia Library and Information Association
Round Table would like to acknowledge the generosity of the following businesses for their donations, including gifts for conference presenters and volunteers.
The support of the following organisations, for production of accessible format conference materials, is also gratefully acknowledged.
- Blind Foundation New Zealand
- Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children (RIDBC)
- Royal Society for the Blind of SA Inc (RSB)
- South Australian School for Vision Impaired (SASVI)
- Vision Australia
The support of training for hotel staff and volunteers is also gratefully acknowledged.
The following exhibitors were present and provided donations for the exhibitors quiz:
- HumanWare is a manufacturer of innovative Assistive Technology and has been providing solutions to people who are vision impaired or blind for over 28 years.
- Pacific Vision is a leading provider of hardware and software products for people who are blind or who have low vision.
- Pentronics is a master distributor of Index Braille products for Australia and New Zealand.
- VisAbility has a vision for independence. Everything we do, empowers people living with disability. We do things differently. We step inside your shoes. We try to see things from your perspective.
- Vision Australia is a leading national provider of blindness and low vision services in Australia. We work in partnership with Australians who are blind or have low vision to help them achieve the possibilities they choose in life.
Australian Braille Authority meeting documents
- 2017 ABA Annual Meeting – Report of the Chair N12 (104 KB)
- 2016 ABA Annual Meeting Minutes N12 (674 KB)
Should you have any queries or require the conference documentation in an alternate format please do not hesitate to contact us.
Post Conference Interviews
“Vision Extra” – RPH Adelaide
Peter Grecco discusses the 2017 Round Table conference with:
- Ramona Mandy recipient of the 2017 Tammy Axelsen LIfetime Achievement Award.
You can listen to Ramona’s interview here.
“New Horizons” – BCA
Listen to Round Table’s President Neil Jarvis interview with Vaughn Bennison.